Tuesday, January 09, 2018

When the Wind Blows

When the Wind Blows is an animated 1986 British disaster film. It tells the story of a naive retired British couple who survive a nuclear war in their remote rural home.

You can watch it online here, but I can't figure out how to embed the video in this blog post.

trailer:



Here's a lyric excerpt from the soundtrack:
There's a full time reservation
Made in a bar at the railway station,
And there's a story, a kind of fable,
On a card at the corner table.
On it is a message; been there some time.
It starts of, "The coffee tasted so fine"
It says, "One day, this may find you,
These few words may remind you.
We sat here together just to pass time;
You said how the coffee tasted so fine.
Of course, after a while there's no water for coffee. Survivors of a nuclear war may well not be the lucky ones. When I finished watching this movie I was reminded of the film Grave of the Fireflies, only that one featured children while this one features an elderly couple.

And this film was from 1986 remember. It's not like we haven't had plenty of time to learn.


12 comments:

  1. There are no survivors from nuclear war & the poor old earth cannot take any more of this bully boy talk. There was a mini tv series made in England that we watched in school & I remember I had nightmares for months & months afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's horrifying how long we've known where this would lead while still marching down this road :(

      Delete
  2. I've always thought that surviving a nuclear war sounded horrible..after watching this trailer, I'm convinced it's true:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm not such as would do well in this post-nuclear war era. :(

      Delete
  3. Sounds a terrifying prospect and a film you'll never forget! Have a great week! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so sad :( I can identify with this silly old couple.

      Delete
  4. I missed you at T today. I think this would have been a perfect, albeit a bit dark, post for T. I can't live without my coffee, so I can understand the horror these people must have lived through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had this written up as a T day post, but we were on vacation this week so I couldn't link up. No tea, no coffee, no water. A life not like any we've known :(

      Delete
  5. I just noticed the music was by David Bowie. That makes it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised it's not better known for this alone :)

      Delete
  6. Compelling, tragic, with a bit of dark humor. Or at least I found the humor. Was really worth watching! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humor is such a sweet touch, I think. It made this little couple even more relatable for me.

      Delete