Monday, January 08, 2018

The Confession


The Confession is a detective novel by Olen Steinhauer. This is the 2nd book in a five-book series of thrillers. The setting is fascinating, and the characters are well-developed. I enjoy reading fiction novels set in places I'm not familiar with. That said, I enjoyed the first book much more than this one and have decided I won't seek out the others after all. Call me fickle.

from the back of the book:
Eastern Europe, 1956: Comrade Inspector Ferenc Kolyeszar, who is a proletariat writer in addition to his job as a state militia homicide detective, is a man on the brink. Estranged from his wife, whom he believes is cheating on him with one of his colleagues, and frustrated by writer's block, Ferenc's attention is focused on his job. But his job is growing increasingly political, something that makes him profoundly uncomfortable.

When Ferenc is asked to look into the disappearance of a party member's wife and learns some unsavory facts about their lives, the absurdity of his position as an employee of the state is suddenly exposed. At the same time, he and his fellow militia officers are pressed into service policing a popular demonstration in the capital, one that Ferenc might rather be participating in. These two sitiations, coupled with an investigation into the murder of a painter that leads them to a man recently released from the camps, brings Ferenc closer to danger than ever before -from himself, from his superiors, from the capital's shadowy criminal element.

The Confession is a fantastic follow-up to Olen Steinhauer's brilliant debut, The Bridge of Sighs, and it guarantees to advance this talented writer on his way to being one of the premier thriller writers of a generation.
The New York Times has an interview with the author. Kirkus Reviews concludes a positive review with this: "Good enough to suggest comparison with Graham Greene: place the author in the forefront of contemporary suspense writers..." Publishers Weekly has a positive review.

I've also read and enjoyed The Bridge of Sighs, which was this author's first book.

8 comments:

  1. Bridge of Sighs was a good film, although I didn't read the book. I wonder if this is the most disappointing of the whole series and then they pick up again, but I wouldn't go any further if the last book I read didn't excite me. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie. I'll hafta check into that. Sometimes book 2 of a series is weak, but there are just too many good series I'm reading to take a chance on book 3 here. Maybe later....

      Delete
  2. I am sorry this book didn't excite you. Too bad, because I was sure from your review at the beginning that you liked the character development and the story line. It's OK to be fickle. After all, there are too many books to be read and they should be by authors you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many books, so little time. You hit the nail on the head!

      Delete
  3. The books sound interesting. I like mysteries. Too bad reading isn't something I can do much anymore. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried audio books? I have a FB friend who recommends them, though I find my mind wanders while I'm listening.

      Delete
    2. I have the same problem! Can only listen if I am doing some mindless assembly-line work on cards...enough to keep my hands busy but I don't have to think too much. ;) Used to be best for me when driving.

      Delete
    3. Exactly! And I just don't drive much any more :(

      Delete