Thursday, January 18, 2018

Lake Austell Trail


The Lake Austell Trail begins at the Visitor Center. The Visitor Center is not -for us, anyway- within walking distance from the cabins. One striking thing about this state park is that walking trails are not generally within walking distance of the cabins. This is a problem for me that will keep me from going back to this park. I can't drive The Husband's car, and he does not hike, so that leaves me needing him to drive me to a trailhead and then pick me up afterwards in an area where cell phone coverage is spotty at best.


It is a pretty trail.




It's a fairly easy hike but has some steep sections and some sections with steep steps.


There was a bench:


but I'll admit a few more benches would've been welcome.







There's another entrance to this trail at a lovely picnic area overlooking lake and woodland. You can see a pavilion over this rise:


The Lake Austell Trail connects to the Military Road Trail, which will be a post for another day.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like my kind of hike! Great photos!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. That trail looks a bit difficult, at least more so than the ones that you hiked in the past. It's too bad about the trails. For some reason, I "assumed" the trails were within walking distance of the cabins, and so was the Visitor Center. At least you seem to have made it OK, but like you, another bench or two would have helped, especially after climbing those rather steep steps, or crossing the water on that scary looking log. Sorry, I am not a lumberjack, so my logging (and log crossing) skills are lacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were more steps than a lot of trails have, but it was not at all difficult. Benches are nice for when you want to enjoy a view without just standing there. The log was at the side of the trail, which is a good thing :) There are a couple of places at this park where the trail has either washed away or is intended to be accessible for horses, and in those places I either jumped or got wet feet ;)

      Delete
  3. Really quite a nice trail, but I would have liked more places to sit, too. Especially since it didn't look like an easy trail. So pretty there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trail's not difficult, but some of the views were pretty enough that I'd have liked a place to sit and enjoy it :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like a wonderful place to hike! I'd love to spend some time exploring and walking on this woodland trail - perfect 😁. Wishing you a happy Friday and weekend! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love woodland and lakeside trails, so this one suited me well :)

      We still have snow on the ground lol, but the high's predicted to be 45. I may eventually venture out ;)

      Delete