Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Sleepless in Seattle

Sleepless in Seattle is a 1993 award-winning romantic comedy/drama featuring a young father whose beloved wife dies and whose 8-year-old son tries to pair him up with a suitable new partner. I'd never seen this before, not liking rom-coms, but my search for variety in holiday viewing brought me to this. I actually liked it. Sweet, but not too sweet. It stars Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. Also in this: Rob Reiner, Bill Pullman, Rosie O'Donnell, and Victor Garber (Jesus in Godspell). Nora Ephron directs.

The beginning of the film takes place during the Christmas season.

trailer:


The New York Times says, "Ms. Ephron and her associates create a make-believe world so engaging that "Sleepless in Seattle" is finally impossible to resist. Both Mr. Hanks and Ms. Ryan bring substance to their roles." Rolling Stone calls it "sublime". The Guardian gives it 4 out of 5 stars.

Empire Online gives it 4 out of 5 stars and calls it "sweet and touching". Roger Ebert says it was "so warm and gentle I smiled the whole way through." Rotten Tomatoes has an audience score of 75%.

10 comments:

  1. I can't say this is a big favorite of mine, even though it got a lot of hype. It was on one dark Sunday morning a few weeks ago and we rewatched it, and I realized how dated it was. Not that I mind dated films. I guess When Harry Met Sally came out it kind of jaded me towards other romantic comedies. Happy hump day-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is dated, I agree. I just expect so little from romantic comedies it's easy to pleasantly surprise me ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh this is a favorite of mine!!! Glad you found it and liked it! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to find something new for the holidays. I'm getting tired of the same-old ones I watch every year.

      Delete
  3. When it first came out, several of my friends were going to see it. I declined and have never seen it. I'm SO glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering what else I've missed through the years. So many movies!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this at the time. (Was still watching romantic movies and liked the main actors.) Yes, might be quite dated now but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to re-watch. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm less inclined to dismiss a romantic comedy out of hand these days. We're putting this one with Christmas movies for a bit of variety.

      Delete
  5. I remember watching this film quite a few time when it first came out and really enjoyed it, mind you I love rom-coms ...lol 😉. Glad it's now on your Christmas watching list and enjoy the rest of your week! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always tended to roll my eyes during rom-coms, but I guess getting older has mellowed my attitude :)

      Delete