Thursday, October 05, 2017

The Shining (book)


I've seen this movie more than once and liked it but had never read the book. Now that I've read the book I realize how far short the film falls. Not that the film isn't an impressive film, but the book is much better. The Shining is a 1977 horror novel by Stephen King.

from the back of the book:
The Overlook Hotel is more than just a home-away-from-home for the Torrance family. For Jack, Wendy, and their young son, Danny, it is a place where past horrors come to life. And where those gifted with the shining do battle with the darkest evils. Stephen King's classic thriller is one of the most powerfully imagined novels of our time.
The Guardian explores the differences between the book and the novie. Horror Novel Reviews says, "Let me say from the start that I consider The Shining (Stephen King’s third published novel) to be the scariest book I’ve ever read." Kirkus Reviews describes it as "Back-prickling".


8 comments:

  1. I have read this book. I admit, I have never seen the movie, but I read the book. Stephen King certainly knows how to scare the daylights out of you. I remember I couldn't put it down. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book was the best I've read of King. Very affecting.

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see why. So much better than the movie, and I _loved_ the movie.

      Delete
  3. I'm not into horror much but one day I do want to read this book. Stephen King is really an amazing author, and every now and again you need to shake up your typical reading list. october is a goo time to do that, isn't it? Hugs=Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read much horror, but October does seem an appropriate month to stretch a bit :)

      Delete
  4. I had read that book (back when I was still reading some of Stephen King's works--LOL!) and agree it was better than the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie changed a lot that didn't need changing. In many ways it was a different story entirely.

      Delete