Sunday, October 15, 2017

The Red House

The Red House is a 1947 Edward G. Robinson film, also starring Judith Anderson and Julie London. Delmer Daves directs. Priceless, and well worth watching. But then it has Edward G. Robinson in it. Dame Judith Anderson and Julie London are just icing on the cake.

via Youtube:


"Every living soul has its Ox Head Woods."

The New York Times in a review from the time of the film's initial release says, "For this tenebrous tale of an abandoned house set deep in a tangled and forbidding forest and its impact on the lives of a group of people living close by, is told intelligently and with mounting tension. ... the picture's cumulative effect still is as eerie as a well-spun ghost story."

DVD Talk says, "The Red House is an intense, somewhat off-kilter suspense story that promises a dangerous secret and delivers a decidedly "unhealthy" revelation." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 80%.

6 comments:

  1. You have a gift for allowing me to waste time when I need to be cleaning my house. What a thriller. I won't give it away, though. I am so glad you shared the entire movie with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love how available movies are these days. There are enough to distract me from housework _forever_! lol

      Delete
  2. That was pretty creepy with good actors. I think I saw this on TV when I was a teenager--so we're talking a long, long time ago--over 50 years. Was worth watching again. I do prefer a psychological thriller. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cast in this is so perfect, and I loved the pacing. I saw a lot of these kinds of movies on tv when I was young. Afternoons and weekend nights were old movie heaven!

      Delete
    2. Yes!! The afternoon matinee movies and the late night runs. Tons of old black and white movies. I watched everything! :)

      Delete
    3. It's youtube now, and some old movie cable channels. So many different kinds of movies out there!

      Delete