Monday, August 28, 2017

The Brooks Museum Centennial


To celebrate the centennial of the Brooks Museum, generous donors gave 100 Gifts for 100 Years. Yesterday was the last day for this exhibition.

The ones that particularly struck me as I toured the exhibit and that I could find photos of were these:

Untitled [Tree/Autumn Leaves] by Walter Anderson c/1960

Tabard 15th Century (feathers and cotton textile) Inca Peru

Mandara by Lino Tagliapietra 2005

This 16-minute video shows all 100 pieces:


This sculpture was placed outside with no label:


Entry to the museum is free on Wednesdays and I usually go then, but I'd let this deadline slip up on me. The place was by no means crowded, but there were people in every room I entered. I'm always glad to see art appreciation taking place.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful exhibition and you picked some beautiful pieces to showcase 😁. The colours and patterns on the Mandara are amazing! Thanks for sharing such lovely artworks, I enjoyed looking around with you! Wishing you a great start to the week! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful museum. I remember it before that addition to the building, and mother remembered it before the addition before that lol. It's a Memphis treasure.

      Delete
  2. What cool gifts. They have some amazing treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's such a variety! I can't figure out how they choose the ones for permanent display.

      Delete
  3. A museum of gifts--how cool! I appreciated the slide show so I could see all of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slideshow was helpful to me, too. I'm glad they put that up.

      Delete
  4. What an incredible way to make a century of art. Great donors and beautiful gifts. I'm with Rita. Loved the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd be wonderful to be able to donate something the museum would want :)

      Delete