Sunday, August 27, 2017

Les Misérables

Les Misérables is a 1952 film inspired by the book. It condenses the story greatly, so if that bothers you look elsewhere for a movie that includes all those subplots. I liked the focus of this one just fine. It stars Michael Rennie, Debra Paget, Robert Newton, and Edmund Gwenn. Cameron Mitchell is Marius. Rhys Williams is Brevet.

part 1:



part 2:



TCM has an article that says, "There are many deviations from the source novel throughout but the movie holds true to the spirit intended," saying that it "retains the sense of moral struggle and redemption that so informs the book." Time names it as one of the "Les Mizzes Better Than the New Les Miz." The NYT has a mixed review from the time of the film's release.

6 comments:

  1. I see what you mean it looks quite different from the book, I love old movies though so I'd be happy to watch this one 😁. Happy Sunday! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's faithful in its way, I guess you could say. I'm an old movie fan, too :)

      Delete
  2. I know I saw this many moons ago. There are several versions and I kow I have enjoyed every one I have seen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to see how they interpret the book. Each time, it's different.

      Delete
  3. I love old movies though so I'd be happy to watch this one ��. Happy Sunday! J ��


    ทางบ้าน

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those old movies, too, and it's great to find them online like this :)

      Delete