Thursday, August 31, 2017

Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center


It has taken me longer than I expected to get my vacation photos from my phone to my computer and then labeled. The Civil War Interpretive Center in Corinth, Mississippi, was our last stop before we got home to Memphis from the trip we took last month. ExploreSouthernHistory.com has some photos and information.

There's a long walkway leading from the parking lot up to the museum, and it's punctuated by interesting reminders of the times:




Inside, there are numerous displays and educational information on the battle and how the people's lives were affected.




Some of the exhibits had life-sized sculptures:


Some were interactive:


There were touching insights into what the soldiers went through:



The museum was easy to navigate and had staff available to answer questions.


There was a courtyard with a water feature:




Here's a 2-minute video introduction uploaded by Corinth, MS:



To be honest, all the recent talk about how moving those statues of Confederate generals destroys history makes no sense to me. The statues aren't history and don't aid in the understanding of history. Move the statues to museums and battlefields where there's context and an effort to provide an educational setting. There'd be room for one out in this area outside this museum, I think:

8 comments:

  1. This place looks right up my alley. I love places like this. I am such a geek. :) Thanks for sharing. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. We just couldn't resist stopping :)

      Delete
  2. I agree about the statues--move them to museums and other educational settings. Looks like an interesting place to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful civil war area. So much pain and destruction. I can't believe we don't seem to learn from our mistakes. I see us heading to a divided country again. I really worry about the hate groups, especially.

    I also think we should put these statues into a museum, but someplace where they could be isolated. I say that because I believe in their historical value, but not the hate they seem to conjure up on both sides of the fence. I think there would need to be a place that people would know about, but avoid if they didn't want to see something that they felt was offensive. Being a white female, I guess I don't see the significance of the whole thing. But I'm sure I don't feel the same as blacks who feel these statues are derogatory to their way of life. I know if my city put up a statue of Hitler, I would want it removed.

    I loved the courtyard and the water feature. It was beautiful. So glad you took us there. I've got photos of several places I've been that I've not had time to put together, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the statues are well-suited to places like this museum but not so much in these public city parks where there's nothing else to mitigate their dominance of the landscape.

      Sometimes I get all the photos taken care of right away. Not this time lol

      Delete
  4. It is great that your vacations include visits to museums and places with history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a sucker for that kind of thing ;)

      Delete