Saturday, April 08, 2017

Slow Art Day

There's no formal, sponsored site for Slow Art Day here in Memphis this year. That's a shame, but it won't stop me from participating on my own. The steps are these:
  1. Find a local event
    Show up on Saturday, April 8, 2017 at your venue, pay the admission fee (if there is one) and then look slowly –five to ten minutes– at each piece of pre-assigned art.
  2. Attend and look at 5 pieces of art slowly
  3. Have lunch to discuss your experience

Ordinarily I'd go over to the Dixon, which is close to me, but they'll be packed with people attending their plant sale. Maybe I'll go to the Brooks. You can see their collection online. I tend to spend most of my time in front of favorite works, but today I'll choose ones I'm less familiar with. Here I'll post ones on view at the Brooks that I've spent a long time with through the years. It's not like seeing them in person, but I hope you enjoy them.

Lions:


At the Foot of the Cliff:


The Family:


Light of the Incarnation:


Seasons:

Spring
Summer
Fall

Find some art near you and spend some time looking deeply into it. It's revelatory.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like that would be a positive experience no matter which pieces of art you examined peacefully. Great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand why there were no local events, and I didn't end up going out. I played on my patio instead. It's a powerful idea, though.

      Delete
  2. I missed the day but I will plan to do the slow looking next time I'm at a gallery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to focus, and it's so different from how I usually approach art. I don't usually spend so much time in front of each piece.

      Delete
  3. I missed the day but I will plan to do the slow looking next time I'm at a gallery

    ReplyDelete