Wednesday, February 08, 2017

The High Window


The High Window by Raymond Chandler is a 1942 detective novel featuring Philip Marlowe. This book is the 3rd in a long-running series. It's not nearly as dated as you might expect given the publication date, and is easily readable as a modern story. Tips of a dime and the presence of elevator operators are fun elements, and the plot and characters have modern sensibilities. You can read it online here, and can certainly read enough there to give you a taste of the writing style. I got a big kick out of this book.

from the back of the book:
Raymond Chandler's third novel is set in the California underworld, where Philip Marlowe searches for a priceless gold coin and finds himself deep in the tangled affairs of a dead coin collector.
Kirkus Reviews opens by calling it a "Tight, bright tale" and closes with this: "... tough, tense, and fine fare."


This counts towards my TBR book challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE those old detective novels. I will read this since you provided the link. Thanks for the review, because this is something I know I will LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. I really was happy to see how modern it felt. It's unusual to find more than an excerpt -or single chapter at most- online.

      Delete