Thursday, October 13, 2016

Dead to the World


Dead to the World is the 4th book in the Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris. I picked up the first five in this series at the same time when I saw them in the bookstore's used book section. More romance than horror, and neither genre is my thing at all. I picked them up because they were in the mystery department. The mysteries aren't really enough to make it worth slogging through the romance. I may make it through the next one, but then again, I may not. After the way the last book handled a particularly icky date rape, I thought I'd just give up on them completely. And yet, here I am... It seems wasteful somehow to have them and not read them... I'm torn.

They've been adapted for television. Ask me if I care.

from the back of the book:
It's not every day that you come across a naked man on the side of the road. That's why cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse doesn't just drive on by. Turns out the poor thing hasn't a clue who he is, but Sookie does. It's Eric the vampire -but now he's a kinder, gentler Eric. And a scared Eric, because whoever took his memory now wants his life. Sookie's investigation into who and why leads straight into a dangerous battle among witches, vampires, and werewolves. But a greater danger could be to Sookie's heart -because this version of Eric is very difficult to resist...

6 comments:

  1. I recall reading one book by this author. I don't remember which one but I do remember I would not be reading any more. If I had any remaining ones I'd probably put them in my donate pile although why I would wish them on anyone else is a question I ask myself. Too many good books waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right. I just have trouble parting with books I haven't read yet. This has taught me not to buy more than one in a series until I've read one.

      Delete
  2. Funny--this is one of those series that I would have no desire to read the books but I loved the series True Blood! More for the various actors even than the storyline, to be honest. I heard they changed a lot from the books for the series and even added characters...but I have no urge to read the books, regardless (unlike Game of Thrones when it ends). But I really enjoyed the series. Not many "monster" shows I like, but that was one of them (and Supernatural). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read some Game of Thrones, but they just droned on and on and I couldn't make myself keep wading through them... Here's a *Not Safe For Work* video of what it's like to read the books that I find hystericaly accurate ;) I watched the series for a while but tired of it. Maybe I should catch up, but I don't know

      Delete
  3. I didn't see a link for the Not Safe For Work video. I am not sure about the Game of Thrones books either till I try them because even watching the series I get confused as to who is who and where things are and all the backstories...afraid it could be like reading a Russian novel and they drive me insane--ROFL! I'll find out after the series has ended when I try the first book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm, not sure how I left out that link: https://youtu.be/7KocHhWTwMw Reading the books gives you endless descriptions about insignificant characters and details that don't matter. I tired of it after a while.

      Delete