Friday, July 08, 2016

Evil Dead II

Evil Dead II is the 1987 sequel to the infamous cult film The Evil Dead. This is a parody/comic sequel directed by Sam Raimi and starring Bruce Campbell and is a cult film in its own right.

trailer:



Moria says it "emerges with a lunatically demented comic genius". Empire Online concludes: "The gaudily gory, virtuoso, hyper-kinetic horror sequel/remake uses every trick in the cinematic book, and confirms that Bruce Campbell and Raimi are gods."

Roger Ebert has a positive review and says,
I'm not suggesting that "Evil Dead 2" is fun merely because you can spot the references to other movies. It is because (a) the violence and gore are carried to such an extreme that they stop being disgusting and become surrealistic; (b) the movie's timing aims for comedy, not shocks, and (c) the grubby, low-budget intensity of the film gives it a lovable quality that high-tech movies wouldn't have.
Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 98%.

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this, but I love Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi. I try to see anything Campbell stars in, even though this one is new to me. Possibly it's because I am not a big gore and guts fan. I loved the opening with the Rosebud, though. That one I got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce Campbell is a treasure lol. It's the fact that these are comedy entries into the horror genre that keeps the gore from being a problem, I think. It's more like slapstick than horror.

      Delete
  2. Never saw either one of these. Not much of a horror/gore movie fan. This one sounds more along the Walking Dead line, but too much screaming for me, I think. The zombies are surreal to me in The Walking Dead and most of the time almost comical but if they didn't have interesting characters and storylines I would have been long gone--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave up on The Walking Dead. I was having to wait for the DVDs, and I eventually wasn't interested enough to pick them up. It was the comedy of the Evil Dead movies that kept my attention.

      Delete