Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Dreaded Swimsuit Search

I haven't had a swimsuit in 7 years. Our last house had a pool, and I bought a couple of suits when we moved there. That was, oh... 14 years ago, maybe. By the time we moved here those suits were losing their structural integrity, and I didn't replace them. There's a pool here, but I still wasn't motivated enough to go through the swimsuit try-on gauntlet. I'm not overweight, but I am extremely short and not in the best of shape, so finding a suit that both fits and looks ok on me is a challenge.

Earlier this summer, The Daughter arranged a little trip, just the 2 of us, and suggested I get out there and shop! So I went to the mall, walked down to Macy's, and found all the size 6 one-piece suits in stock. That late in the season there were 5 of them. I took them into the dressing room, and lo and behold! 2 of them fit and didn't look half bad. And on top of that, they were clearing out their swimwear!

I bought this one:


and this one:


which doesn't show up at the Macy's site, but is here at Michael Kors. Does this model look pitifully thin like she needs to eat more regularly? She does to me. I want to offer her a donut, or maybe half a dozen donuts. And a steak dinner with a loaded baked potato.

I bought a cute little halter dress cover-up while we were on our trip:


I only wore a suit once while we were gone, and that was wading in a cold stream playing with crawfish. But now I have swimsuits. I could actually go to the pool if I wanted to. Hoorah!

6 comments:

  1. I won't comment on your choices, but I'm glad your search was not too painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, the more modest the better as far as i'm concerned. i was surprised i could find ones that weren't too long for me. in the past i've worn swimming trunks over them. that works well with black suits.

      Delete
  2. I like you choices especially the black one. I don't own a swimsuit either! Not a beach or pool person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx :) the black one is my favorite, too. i've become less of a pool person as i've gotten older, but i wish i lived closer to a beach.

      Delete
  3. I think your black choice is very elegant, and the blue one is cute. I agree that the model looks a bit famished.

    I have two suits about ten years old, never worn. If I would start to swim (not likely), I´d buy one of these: http://www.simbutiken.se/fastskin-3-super-elite-closed-back-kneeskin-fran-speedo. But then, for a Swede, I am unusually modest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've seen suits similar to the one at that link during olympics coverage on tv, and i can't imagine wearing one. it looks claustrophobic to me lol. i think i'll stick with the swim trunks plan.

      Delete