Monday, July 29, 2013

Message from The Old Reader

I've been singing the praises of The Old Reader ever since I discovered it, but I just opened it up to find this message waiting for me:
We have disabled user registration at The Old Reader, and we might be making the website private. If we do, unfortunately your account will not be transferred to the private site, so you might want to export your subscriptions as OPML and start looking for an alternative solution. More details are in available in our blog: http://blog.theoldreader.com
from their blog:
We started working on this project for ourselves and our friends, and we use The Old Reader on a daily basis, so we will launch a separate private site that will keep running.
...
We will whitelist everybody we know personally, along with all active accounts that were registered before March 13, 2013 — those are the people who had consciously signed up for The Old Reader rather than were simply looking for “a Google Reader replacement”. And of course, we will migrate all our awesome supporters and people who donated to keep the project running
...
Our team will stay together, and will keep working on making the private version of The Old Reader awesome.
and it's signed, "All the love,"

Now that's a cryin' shame. I can't tell you how disappointed I am. It never once occurred to me that something like this would happen. I feel like they actively recruited us and then kicked us out.

Well, back to the drawing board. Only, this time I just get 2 weeks to switch. Bummer.

I'm currently checking out InoReader, which gets some love in the comments from people who are now having to migrate from The Old Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment