Sunday, March 03, 2013

Best BBQ

According to National Geographic, Memphis has 2 out of the 10 best BBQ joints in America. They list Corky's as #1 and Neely's as #4. I'm ashamed to say that I've never eaten at Neely's. I need to fix that.

I can't believe Central BBQ didn't make the list. I might be tempted to put Tops BBQ up there, too. And the Rendezvous. And the Germantown Commissary. I think the 10 best BBQ joints in America well well all be in Memphis, but I hold to the view that the further away from Memphis you get in any direction the worse the BBQ gets.

I also hold that certain foods shouldn't be barbequed. I was asked once in Kentucky if I liked bbq, and, when I said yes, they brought me barbequed baloney. Disgusting.

I like pork BBQ sandwiches, BBQ pork ribs (wet or dry, but I much prefer dry) and BBQ chicken. I never understood why people barbequed beef.

6 comments:

  1. What´s the difference between BBQ-d and grilled?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when i think bbq, i think a bbq pit with pork, with smoke and bbq sauce or rub. when i think grill, i think beef steak ;) over an open grill.

      there's an entire (tho small) wikipedia entry on memphis-style barbeque: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis-style_barbecue wikipedia says, "Memphis-style barbecue is mostly made using pork, usually ribs and shoulders, though many restaurants will still serve beef and chicken. Memphis-style barbecue is slow cooked in a pit and ribs can be prepared either "dry" or "wet". "Dry" ribs are covered with a dry rub consisting of salt and various spices before cooking, and are normally eaten without sauce. "Wet" ribs are brushed with sauce before, during, and after cooking."

      Delete
    2. It all sounds very good! I know my husband would love that, he is fond of mixing sauces with hickory etc with chutneys of different kind, after which he will throw some of my brandy on top of whatever he is cooking and set fire to it! I personally think it´s more fun to see him make than to eat, but I´ll indulge him.;-)

      Delete
    3. people make their own "secret" sauces. lots of the restaurants package their own blends and sell it. you can even buy some of them in the grocery stores. sounds like your husband is doing that secret sauce thing already.

      central bbq here has a dry rub you can order online: http://www.cbqmemphis.com/online-shop.html or if your husband wanted to try his own blend, he could start with this recipe which reportedly came from central bbq: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bbq-with-bobby-flay/rib-dry-rub-recipe/index.html

      i never cook my own, tho i've been known to cook chicken breasts with bbq sauce either in the oven or on a grill outside. i'm not a great cook :/

      Delete
  2. Oh I do miss BBQ! Now I need to plan a trip for some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the rendezvous will ship it to you ;)

      Delete