Monday, February 18, 2013

Loft Bedroom?


The description at Trulia includes this:
loft w/bookshelves could be third bedroom!
Not without a bit more privacy, it couldn't. It's totally open to the main living area. I'm thinking this would not work in our family.

I'm wondering how anybody who needed 3 bedrooms could make this space work as one of them. I can see how an open loft could work as a bedroom if nobody else was going to be up and active in the house while you were sleeping or whatever up there, but if other people are likely to be watching TV or eating downstairs, would you really want them to have an open view into your bed? I wouldn't! And even if you placed screens of some sort up there, it wouldn't serve to block much sound.

I think I need a bit more privacy in bed than this provides.

8 comments:

  1. I´m not crazy about open-plan anything. But then I am severely introvert, and more than a bit sensivite to the distractions of sound. I have these when I travel:
    http://www.outdoorexperten.se/p-6454-peltor-bulls-eye-iii.aspx
    and sometimes at home, and I kid you not, they are indispensable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those are some noise blockers! i know a woman who wears ear plugs to sleep. i'm afraid the zombie apocalypse will occur in the night and i'll miss it, tho that actually might be a _good_ thing

      Delete
  2. Great way to keep on eye on house guests you don't trust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. I can't come up with a way for that to be a bedroom. A study, a den, sure, but not for sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would have to build a wall. and i'm not sure there's a closet in that room, and i think that means they're not supposed to list it as a bedroom. it definitely won't work for us.

      Delete
  4. No as a third bedroom. I once, for a short time, lived in an apartment where the bedroom was a similar open loft. It was the only bedroom (with closets) and I was the only one living there. I enjoyed it.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly. i see open lofts sometimes on those house shows on the home & garden channel when i'm over at mother's, and i find them attractive. a third bedroom would be the bedroom for our 22 yo son, who is still in school and living at home. when i showed him the picture he was not favorably impressed ;)

      Delete