Sunday, February 10, 2013

Gus's Fried Chicken

I've been to Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken before, but only once. Last time I didn't take pictures, but this time I was ready. The Husband and I had lunch one day recently at the location on Mendenhall. We went about 1:30, thinking the worst of the lunch crowd would be gone. It was still crowded enough that we had to park in front of Mewtopia. We didn't have to wait for a table, though, and we were seated by a window.


We each had the 2-piece white plate. It comes with beans and slaw. I substituted french fries for the slaw, and The Husband had fries and mac&cheese. He had tea; I had coke. We finished our food, but there was plenty to fill us up. The total including drinks and tax but before adding the tip was about $20. That's a bit more than I'd like to pay.


I admit I'm not a good one to talk about fried chicken. I like fried chicken but am not discriminating. I've never eaten a fried chicken I haven't liked. I like white meat, dark meat, spicy, bland, crunchy or not... I'm not picky. Gus's has fine fried chicken. I do know that everybody says Gus's is the last word in fried chicken, and I can appreciate that it may well be better than anybody else's fried chicken. Since I love everybody's fried chicken, I'm not a good judge.

They have a Facebook page.

It has a lot of positive reviews at Urban Spoon. Yelp has mostly positive reviews, although some reviewers are like me and don't see what all the fuss is about. It has won the award for best fried chicken in the Memphis Magazine poll. The I Love Memphis blog calls it "practically perfect." Memphis Que blog says, "chicken it what draws people to Gus's from around the globe and it lives up to its reputation." Eat Local Memphis says, "Their fried chicken is top notch". Ken's Food Find likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment