Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Cry of the Owl

The Cry of the Owl is a 2009 suspense thriller based on the Patricia Highsmith novel by the same name. It was a Christmas present from The Elder Son.

This is one bleak film. It starts creepy and gets steadily creepier throughout. I was unable to sit through it. I got up and paced and made hot tea and leaned against the wall. The Husband kept suggesting we turn it off since I was having so much trouble. The Younger Son laughed at me. I found the entire experience enlightening. We do agree that the big reveal is a throw-away scene and that the reveal should have taken place in the police station where we could have experienced it along with the main character. It seems a good film for those like me, who don't have a high degree of tolerance for suspense. I can't remember the last film I saw that had not even a hint of comic relief.

trailer:



DVD Talk likes elements of the film but says, "It's a stew made up of good ingredients, but one that is never brought to boil. The end result is a lukewarm concoction where the flavors never blend." It gets a score of 13% at Rotten Tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment