Thursday, November 01, 2012

What to Wear

"What should I wear to my Dr. appointment?" asked The Grandmother. Difficult question to answer.

The Grandmother had gotten pickier and pickier about clothes over the years. It became particularly noticeable to me about 10 years ago when she gave up her car (at her own initiative, for which I was very proud of her). I started being her transportation and would take her shopping. She had given up heels by then and wouldn't wear skirts or dresses with flat shoes. That left pants only, which is still a broad playing field because she's not picky about pants.

But then I took her shopping and heard her requirements for shirts:
  • long sleeves with button cuffs,
  • straight hems so she could wear them outside her pants to cover her stomach (because a shirt-tail has to be tucked in),
  • long enough to completely cover her stomach,
  • no darts,
  • must button all the way to the neck and have a collar,
  • inexpensive (definitely under $40 even if I was buying it for her as a present)
  • and must be tried on in the store (because if I bought it for her when she wasn't with me she would refuse to try it on at all). Actually, she's gotten to where she'll try things on if I bring them to her apartment, so that's great.
I hit the jackpot one year when we found a series of Leslie Fay blouses that met all of her requirements. We bought as many as I could talk her into. And then styles changed and all we've found in that brand since have had 3/4 sleeves and open necks.

So when she asks me what she should wear, it's a bit complicated, and she's not really asking my advice or opinion. I listened while she worked out what would be best. She chose this:


And I wore this:


We were color-coordinated and each wore tan corduroy pants. It's very creepy when people do this on purpose, but we were totally innocent of any wardrobe collusion. Tan corduroy pants were perfect for the day, and we both knew it. I've never been style-conscious, but that discussion will have to wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment