Saturday, November 17, 2012

Leaf Pin

I've never been much into "style" or "fashion". I wore those plaid wool pants from the 70s (remember them?) until the late 80s. I was wearing double knit pant suits long after everybody else had left them behind. Well, they were still good, weren't they? They still fit, didn't they? They were comfortable, yes?

But somehow I stumbled across a huge blogging community focused on what older women are wearing. And it looked like they were having such fun! And I've always been a sucker for hats.

One of the women (Une femme d'un certain age) blogged about brooches. I have several pins, some from when I was in high school or earlier and some from family members who don't "do" jewelry. I tend to pin them to a jacket and just leave them there. The sweater I had on today had a pin on it, so I thought I'd take a picture and post it.


This particular pin came from The Grandmother, who had it in her jewelry box. When I said I liked it she gave it to me, saying she didn't wear jewelry. I've had it for ages now and have always liked it, especially in the Fall when I pay more attention to leaves in nature. I don't know where she got it -it was probably a gift- but it has a Sarah Coventry mark on the back of the stem.


I found some pins just like this online, and it looks like it's from 1968, which is a powerful year. This piece even has a name: the Whispering Leaf Brooch.

You can see everybody else's brooches at Une Femme's post here.


4 comments:

  1. Very nice brooch - and from what I can see, it looks very good on that sweater. I don´t have anything from my grandmother, but I have several brooches that remind me of her, and all those great ladies I knew as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx :) The Grandmother is actually my mother, but we call her The Grandmother because she likes my kids so much more ;) I have my grandmother's watt pottery apple pattern cookie jar and a sweet little ring.

      i am so enjoying seeing all the brooches. such a fun idea :)

      Delete
  2. I always love pieces inspired by nature and your lovely brooch is no exception. Thanks so much for linking up and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx for coming over and commenting. i am enjoying reading this women fashion blogging community and got a kick out of the opportunity to participate. :)

      Delete