Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Death Rides a Horse

Death Rides a Horse is a 1967 spaghetti western (released in the US in 1969) starring Lee Van Cleef, John Phillip Law, Mario Brega, Luigi Pistilli and Anthony Dawson. The music is by Ennio Morricone. I'd rather have subtitles; the dubbing is clumsy. Lee Van Cleef is a treasure, as always.

via Youtube:



DVD Talk says, "Death Rides a Horse is one of the genre's most highly regarded films." Fistful of Pasta says, "this is a great spaghetti westerns. Don't miss it." Roger Ebert gives it one lone star but opens his review with this: "It's hard to explain the fun to be found in seeing the right kind of bad movie." Spaghetti-Western.net has an extensive summary and advice on choosing a DVD release to buy.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I'm a really big fan of this movie. Lee Van Cleef is fantastic as always, and it has a phenomenal Ennio Morricone Score. Really, to dismiss the pleasure of viewing this as in any way related to supposed "badness" is ridiculous. It's a well paced, action packed, thrilling movie, that makes good use of genre conventions that shouldn't be dismissed as cliches!

    Actually, this movie was very specifically influential to my Spaghetti Western Concept Rap album, "Showdown at the BK Corral" I'd love to hear what you think of it! You can download it for free at sunsetparkriders.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, except for the dubbing issues, and I like Lee Van Cleef. I'll have to check out your album.

    ReplyDelete