Friday, January 15, 2010

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

I still remember how it felt to see Star Trek on the big screen for the first time. We had all waited so long, and to see the Enterprise up there was wonderful. It's still my favorite of the movies, even though The Husband points out that all they did was remake Nomad and The Kids roll their eyes at the interminable approach of the shuttle craft ("Can't we just fast forward through the parts where nothing happens"? "But then there'd be nothing to watch." Ha, ha). For me, it was love from the beginning, and I'd still rather see Kirk as captain with the rest of the real crew than see any of the other weak substitutes they've offered through the years. I'm still hopelessly in love with The Original Series. Sigh. I just can't help myself. That doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humor when somebody suggests that V'ger should be the poster child for a True Love Waits campaign or when one of them makes snarky comments about the Kirk/Spock relationship. Star Trek: The Motion Picture is directed by Robert Wise, produced by Gene Roddenberry, and stars William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelly, James Doohan, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols and George Takei. The new characters include Stephen Collins and Persis Khambatta. Majel Barret, Grace Lee Whitney and Mark Lenard have small roles. Jerry Goldsmith composed the music.

trailer:


Moria has a mixed review, saying, "while it isn’t great Star Trek, Star Trek – The Motion Picture isn’t too bad a science-fiction film at all." Roger Ebert gives it 3 stars and says, "Two things occurred to me as I watched "Star Trek": The producers have succeeded at great expense in creating a toy for the eyes. This movie is fun to watch." Variety likes it. The New York Times says it's mostly about special effects and letting the fans have the characters back. Time Magazine doesn't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment