Friday, May 22, 2009

The Most Dangerous Game

The Most Dangerous Game is a 1932 film directed by Irving Pichel (Destination Moon, The Great Rupert, Quicksand) and Ernest Schoedsak and starring Joel McCrea, Fay Wray, Leslie Banks, Robert Armstrong and Noble Johnson. We have the Criterion edition, but the sole special feature is a commentary track. I don't really like those. I don't want to watch the film with the commentary if I've never seen the film before, and by the time I'm ready to see the film again I just want to see the film itself. I much prefer special features that are separate.



Moria calls it "a genuine classic". 1000 Misspent Hours says it's "an enormously influential film" and closes by saying, "If any first-generation horror talkie demands to be seen uncut, it’s this one." Variety doesn't like it. The New York Times says it "makes a highly satisfactory melodrama," and adds
It has the much-desired virtue of originality, which, in no small measure, compensates for some of its gruesome ideas and its weird plot.

10/6/2009: Classic-Horror.com has a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment