Saturday, April 04, 2009

Ben-Hur (1959)

Ben-Hur is the 3rd film adaptation of the book by Lew Wallace. This one is directed by William Wyler and stars Charlton Heston.

I've seen this film several times and have the DVD.

Youtube has it online in 15 pieces [gone as of 2/17/2010], but Tudou.com has it in parts with foreign subtitles and limited commercials. I didn't watch this, so I don't know if it's complete. I tried but couldn't get them to show up here, so I'm just posting links to the videos. Part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4 (the chariot race is at the beginning of this clip, and it looks like the crucifixion is here, too).

The New York Times calls it "a remarkably intelligent and engrossing human drama". Variety says it "is a majestic achievement, representing a superb blending of the motion picture arts by master craftsmen."

No comments:

Post a Comment