Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Slipstream

I never saw Slipstream, a 1989 post-apocalyptic science fiction film starring Mark Hamill. The Star Wars trilogy films are the only Mark Hamill movies I've seen. I saw each installment in the theater when it was first released and loved them. Robbie Coltrane (Cracker, Hagrid) and Ben Kingsley are also in this. Elmer Bernstein did the music. I don't like the music. Feels heavy-handed to me.

The voice-over narration is done by a woman this time, but sexism is evident as she says,
By the end of the century, man's destruction of the Earth's environment turned the forces of nature upon him.

The movie's fun, though, and it's a shame I'm just now coming across it. I wish it had gotten more attention.

It can't be embedded, but it's online at googlevideo.

Moria says, "if it doesn’t really know what sort of story it is telling, there are times it is at least made with a quaint appeal," and
Mark Hamill’s fine performance as the single-mindedly ruthless lawman is a role surely designed for once and all to kill off his typecasting in boyish youthful roles following the Star Wars films.

Million Monkey Theater has a thorough plot description and recommends it, calling it "a fairly odd duck of a movie".

No comments:

Post a Comment