Monday, February 16, 2009

Mars Needs Women

Well, every planet needs women, right? Mars Needs Women is a 1967 science fiction film directed by Larry Buchanan (The Eye Creatures; Zontar, the Thing from Venus; In the Year 2889). Yvonne Craig (who has a Star Trek connection) stars.

It's mind-numbing. And slow. Very, very slow. I love the way the male Martians and the male military officers of Earth argue over whether women from Earth will be allowed to voluntarily go to Mars. Like dogs fighting over a bone.

trailer:


1000 Misspent Hours gives it negative stars and says,
Looking back from the turn of the 21st century, its hard to believe a movie this dauntingly bad would have been considered acceptable for release, even in the made-for-TV market.
and
Much of the potential fun of Mars Needs Women is scuttled by the sheer listlessness of the proceedings; it’s an absolute riot whenever anything happens, but entirely too much of the film spools endlessly by with nothing at all going on.

Moria pans it, saying
There is no particular plot to the film – all it really seems to consist of is cutting between various scenes of the Martians following Earth women about.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:35 PM

    You didn't like "Mars Needs Women?" I am shocked. Shocked! It was basically in focus, what more do you want? :o)
    -- A Pal

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are enormously more patient than I. I didn't last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cheat. I skip through some of the movies to get a sense of them, but I'm with you -I just can't make it through some of these.

    ReplyDelete