Friday, February 20, 2009

Charly

I remember the first time I read Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. It's a tragic story. The 1968 film Charly, which is based on the book, stars Cliff Robertson, Claire Bloom and Dick Van Patton. Robertson won an Academy Award for playing Charly. The music is by Ravi Shankar. I think the book is subtler, at least as I remember it.

Youtube has it online in 10 parts. Part 1:

part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6, part 7, part 8, part 9, part 10

I didn't re-watch this, so I haven't checked out these videos.

Moria has a review. The New York Times reviewer doesn't like it. SciFi.com says,
Seen today, his performance as Charlie Gordon remains every bit as nuanced as it seemed at the time.
...
Alas, the movie itself has not aged nearly as well. Some sections are so dated that they're downright laughable.

No comments:

Post a Comment