Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday


Today is Ash Wednesday, the period of 40 days (not including Sundays) before Easter. It is a time of repentance.

Collect for today:
Almighty and everlasting God, you hate nothing you have made and forgive the sins of all who are penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily lamenting our sins and acknowledging our wretchedness, may obtain of you, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. (from the Book of Common Prayer 1979)

Depth of Mercy
a hymn
by Charles Wesley
1. Depth of mercy! Can there be
mercy still reserved for me?
Can my God his wrath forbear,
me, the chief of sinners, spare?

2. I have long withstood his grace,
long provoked him to his face,
would not hearken to his calls,
grieved him by a thousand falls.

3. I my Master have denied,
I afresh have crucified,
oft profaned his hallowed name,
put him to an open shame.

4. There for me the Savior stands,
shows his wounds and spreads his hands.
God is love! I know, I feel;
Jesus weeps and loves me still.

5. Now incline me to repent,
let me now my sins lament,
now my foul revolt deplore,
weep, believe, and sin no more.

Tonight we will observe this day in our church with a worship service including the imposition of ashes.

The United Methodist Women web site has a Lenten Reflection for Ash Wednesday. Faith Central has a list of things different groups are doing to observe Lent, including the Ship of Fools 40 Ideas for Lent. This does not have this year's dates, but works anyway. Day 1 suggests you "Take some time to find online resources you can use throughout the days of Lent" and provides some links to resources. Jesus Creed has the Book of Common Prayer order for worship for this day. Reverend Mommy has a poem for today by T.S. Eliot. UMC.org has information on a Lent program called “Seven Weeks for Water”.

The photo at the top of the post is from mtsofan's flickr stream.

No comments:

Post a Comment