Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Kockroach

I would never have picked this up, but The Elder Son passed it along to me saying I might enjoy it for a bit of "mindless fun". Well, it's about a cockroach, so I'm not sure why he thought I would find that appealing. On the other hand it's truly weird, so that might explain his reasoning.

Kockroach, the first novel by Tyler Knox, is a backwards and lesser Metamorphosis, taking the cockroach-cum-human through his ambitious, hungry experiences in society. It felt predictable from the beginning, and I thought I knew exactly where it was headed. In a way I was right, because the story ends up right where I thought it would. The plot, though, has some moves that surprised me, and I'm glad I read it. The characters are clearly drawn, described in a way that brings everything to life in my mind. I think the character descriptions are the strongest part of the book.

from the back of the book:
It is the mid-1950s, and Kockroach, perfectly content with his life infesting a fleabag hotel off Times Square, awakens to discover that somehow he's been transformed into, of all things, a human. A tragic turn of events, yes, but cockroaches are awesome coping machines, so Kockroach copes. Step by step, he learns the ways of man—how to walk, how to talk, and how to wear a jaunty brown fedora. Led by his primitive desires and insectile amorality, he navigates through the bizarre human realms of crime, business, politics, and sex. Will he find success or be squashed flat from above? Will he change humanity, or will humanity change him?


There is a Reading Group guide.

Reviews:
The NYTimes
The Seattle Times
EW

No comments:

Post a Comment