Sunday, May 18, 2008

One Million Years B.C.


I have a soft spot in my heart for One Million Years B.C.. I saw it in the theater when it was released when I was in elementary school, and my sister and I pretended to be cave people for ages afterwards. My kids never saw it, but I picked up a used copy at Spin Street the other day and introduced The Younger Son and The Daughter to the film this afternoon. It was so much fun watching it again. The giant iguana with the forked prehensile tongue is a riot, and I love the vultures, the pteranadons, the dinosaurs, the cave people and the shell people all living within a few short miles of one another. I was telling the kids that it is a modern classic (their raised eyebrows demonstrated their skepticism), and I asked them if they could guess why I have such a fondness for it. The Younger Son, eyebrow still raised, said, "The plot?" I love my family. I explained that that was indeed part of it, but I also have an appreciation for the character development and the intensive archaeological and historical research that went into making the movie the picture of accuracy.

But, really, it is dear to my heart.

It is a Hammer film directed by Don Chaffey, has special effects by Ray Harryhausen and stars Raquel Welch as pictured above (compliments of Wikipedia) in her fur bikini.

trailer:


TCM has clips from the film.

1/4/2009: Ivanlandia loves Nupondi. And has pictures. I'm glad to see some folks out there don't prefer the blond, even if the blond is Raquel Welch.

No comments:

Post a Comment