Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Poet

The Poet by Michael Connelly is a crime/thriller/mystery novel and winner of the 1997 Anthony Award.

from the back of the book:

Death is reporter Jack McEvoy's beat: his calling, his obsession. But this time, death brings McEvoy the story he never wanted to write — and the mystery he desperately needs to solve. A serial killer of unprecedented savagery and cunning is at large. His targets: homicide cops, each haunted by a murder case he couldn't crack. The killer's calling card: a quotation from the works of Edgar Allan Poe. His latest victim is McEvoy's own brother. And his last....may be McEvoy himself.


This one features a child predator, which I hadn't realized until I was into the book. It's not terribly graphic, but I wouldn't have started the book if I'd known. That said, the book is interesting, there are plot twists that aren't obvious, and there's a surprise at the end. Everything does not get tied up in a neat little bundle, and everybody does not get to live happily ever after. The point of view changes occasionally. The characters and their relationships are nicely developed. It's a satisfying read. Except for that child endangerment issue, which I have real trouble with. Wish I'd known before I started.

No comments:

Post a Comment