Thursday, August 23, 2007

Book Questions

Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror? Science Fiction

Hardback or Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback? Depends on the price, but I prefer hardbacks when I can get them. I like trade paperbacks better than mass markets because it seems to me the spines hold up better. Most of my books are mass market paperbacks, though, because that is what I find more of in the used book stores.

Amazon or Brick and Mortar? Brick and Mortar. If we don't give our business to the local stores they won't be here for us in the future. I have bought online when the book I wanted wasn't available locally and couldn't be ordered by a local store.

Barnes & Noble or Borders? Borders

Hitchhiker or Discworld? Hitchhiker

Bookmark or Dog ear? Bookmark. Only pagans dog-ear their books. ;)

Asimov’s Science Fiction or Fantasy & Science Fiction? Neither. I don't read short stories anymore, though I used to when I was younger.

Alphabetize by author, Alphabetize by title, or random? By author, but separated by fiction/non-fiction and by certain categories.

Keep, Throw Away or Sell? Keep

Keep dust-jacket or toss it? Keep

Short story or novel? Novel

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? Harry Potter. I didn't like the first Lemony Snicket book enough to read the others.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? At chapter breaks

"It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"? "Once upon a time"

Buy or Borrow? Buy

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation or Browse? Recommendation, especially book awards

Lewis or Tolkien? Both, but I suppose in the long run I prefer Tolkien.

Collection (short stories by the same author) or Anthology (short stories by different authors)? Neither, I don't read short stories anymore.

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger? Tidy ending, although I don't mind cliff-hangers in series books.

Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading? Anytime, but mostly night.

Standalone or Series? Both. I enjoy stand-alones, but series novels are fun, too.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard? the Moomintroll books

Top 5 favorite genre books of all time? Just 5? Sheesh.... Well, in no particular order, then, maybe these: Canticle for Leibowitz, by Miller (though not the dreadful sequel); Martian Chronicles, by Bradbury; Earth Abides, by Stewart; Way Station, by Simak; Hyperion, by Simmons.

Favorite genre series? Tolkien, probably, but it's hard to decide. I also might pick Donaldson's first Thomas Covenant trilogy.

Currently Reading? Trading in Danger, the first book in the Vatta's War series by Elizabeth Moon (science fiction), author of Remnant Population

HT: SMS Book Reviews

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:43 AM

    Woo-hoo! My Meme lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! From Thursday March 03, 2005! Now _that's_ a long time.

    It appears to be wandering its way now through the general book-reading blogs, and there are some questions that have been left out of the newest incarnation -the meme is evolving in the wild.

    ReplyDelete