Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Many-Colored Land

Book #4 for the Book Awards Challenge

The Many-Colored Land by Julian May is book 1 of The Saga of Pliocene Exile.

from the back of the book:

An orderly and peaceful interstellar society, the twenty-first century's Galactic Milieu had little place for the incurable adventurer, the secret psychotic, or the ruthless con man. So, When a one-way time tunnel to Earth, six million B.C., was discovered, every misfit for light-years around hurried to pass through it, hungry for adventure, the romance of the unknown, and a life free of the Milieu's stuffy rules. Each sought his own brand of happiness. But none could have guessed what awaited them. Not even in a million years...


I don't like time travel books, but the idea behind this one is not the typical time travel conceit and I forgave the author early on. The plot moves along, and the characters, even though there are so many, are well-rendered.

My main problem at this point is that I want to know what happens to these characters and the end of the book says that the next book

tells of the other four members of Group Green in the Tanu capital city, and of their reunion with the northerners....


so I'll pick up the next books if #2 Son wants them after he finishes Book I but not until then. This book was a good read -it's just that I have so many books in my to-be-read stack....

The Many-Colored Land won a Locus Award in 1982.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok sry I had trouble commenting a second ago and only ended up posting half of what I thought I was posting. So I deleted it and I'm doing it over. Ahem.

    SO I WENT TO THE HARRY POTTER PARTY!!!!!! I went to the one at Borders after all because that's where I had the book reserved from. It was the "Hallows Ball." You were supposed to dress either in costume or in formalwear and I dressed up in my Hermione costume, and I was devoutly grateful to have worn a costume instead of a formal because the only girls in formals looked like they were just there to have somewhere to go in a formal dress.

    I haven't finished the book yet but I'm halfway done, I'll bring it to you peeps on Friday so you can start passing it around. :D

    It was SO COOL getting the book at midnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DADDY PRE-ORDERED IT?!?! That SNEAK! Guess y'all won't need my copy after all. I've been reading and reading and I like it except for the death part...

    I wish I'd known he had it preordered cause if you preorder it you automatically get put on the invitation list for the party and I would have bugged him to go with me and get his book then. :_(

    Ben... why didn't you tell me? Ben...

    I DID get a poster, I did I did, a NIFTY exclusive free poster with my super super book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. They handed out stickers that either said "Snape is Loyal" or "Snape Will Betray" and you wore whichever one you wanted on your back. :P

    No no no you still have to read the book. You'll find out what happens anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far there have only been two major deaths and I don't think you'll care that much about either of them. I care a lot about one of them but it was someone I hadn't even CONSIDERED dying before, someone you kinda forget about.

    You guys missed out on the midnight party. Daddy should have come with me to get his book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. When I finish. So is Daddy upset about any parts of it? He just sits around and reads? What a nerd. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is he almost done? That's so funny he went out and bought his own! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished reading and... I'm...I'm...I'm ok...

    ReplyDelete