Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Soup & Cornbread


What a chilly night! Perfect for soup! We had 15 Bean Soup and cornbread. I start with the 15 Bean dried bean mix, which I put on a simmer for an hour. I drain the water; add fresh water, chopped onion, and the juice of one lemon; bring to a boil and simmer for another 2 hours. The beans come with a seasoning packet I add a minute or two before I serve it. I freeze the leftovers.

My cornbread recipe calls for 1 cup each of whole wheat flour and yellow corn meal, 4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 Tbsp brown sugar and 1/2 cup dry milk powder. Mix those together and form a well. Add 2 beaten eggs, 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup oil. Stir just until all ingredients are moistened. Cook 25 minutes at 400 degrees in a well-greased pre-heated 9" iron skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment