Friday, December 01, 2006

Non-traditional Christmas Music

I love Christmas music, and I've always owned a lot of it, starting when everything I had was on vinyl and continuing through the present time when everything I buy is on CD. I have always had varied interests in Christmas music, and I've owned a lot of more traditional selections both religious and secular.

My most recent purchase was, however, _not_ traditional but was instead the new Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Christmas album "Everything You Want For Christmas". BBVD is a swing band that I became familiar with through #1 Son's interest in their 1998 Big Bad Voodoo Daddy cd. My favorite track is "Mr. Heatmiser"

followed closely by "Is Zat You Santa Claus?", but I really did get a kick out of the entire cd.

O Holy Night is a cd of traditional Christmas music played by Ned Spurlock on the hammered dulcimer. Kinda schmaltzy, if you ask me, but it is a bit different in its sound.

Christmas Eve and Other Stories by Trans-Siberian Orchestra has lots of electric guitar and electronic keyboard and has a rock sound. This is a concept album with dramatic flair.



Play, a Swedish pop music "girl group" has a Christmas cd titled "Play Around the Christmas Tree," which is lots of fun. It's full of pop renditions of Christmas standards like Sleigh Ride, Winter Wonderland, Let it Snow, Rudolph, etc.

When I heard that flute on the radio I just knew it had to be Ian Anderson, but I couldn't imagine Jethro Tull doing a Christmas album. I went straightway to Spin Street to make sure and came home having bought "The Jethro Tull Christmas Album". I discovered Jethro Tull back when Aqualung was getting lots of air play. The Christmas cd does not disappoint. Part of Ian Anderson's Introduction at the site just linked:

A Christmas in this modern world should, in my view, accommodate the leisure needs and affections of Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, atheists and agnostics, as well as Fido the family dog and Felix the cat. Throw in a few lost cousins and that dreadful man from next door and you have it!


Here's an interview Ian Anderson did on the album:



The Nylons
, a male a cappella quartet, put out their Christmas cd "A Wish for You" in 2000. This is their second Christmas cd, but the first one uses some instrumentation. Half of these tracks are written by the group members and half are traditional songs and carols presented in the Nylons' style. I think my favorite from this album is "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen".

There is a lot more Christmas music around here, but I think these are the most non-traditional.

No comments:

Post a Comment